Thursday 10 October 2013

Draw students, draw lecturers

I had some weeks at the start of this project before the first race meeting of the year, which is upon us this Friday. I have been determined to keep my sketching going and considered any opportunity to draw as good practice. This has meant drawing students and lecturers during class time. The drawings have thrown up the usual considerations when it comes to drawing in situ, as it were; time constraints, materials, trying not to be noticed (I have not been too bothered about this)





This drawing has mostly been about trying to capture a likeness (can you tell who the drawings are supposed to be of?!) This sort of drawing gives one a fair bit of time as the subjects are sitting down and generally listening, talking, or, in Jamie Tobin's case, cutting out his animal characters to give away at the Literature Festival. Actually I think the challenge with drawing in these cases is not to draw too much; to maintain a sense of spontaneity. This is something I intend to keep in mind as there is nothing worse than a drawing that is too finished/has too many lines and is therefore a dead drawing in my opinion. Ultimately there will be a balance to find in this respect. At the races I will be lucky if I get as much time to focus on individuals, however.




No comments:

Post a Comment