Tuesday 15 October 2013

Colouring things in

One of the things I have been doing over the last few weeks is working with some old drawings and adding colour in with photoshop. I could try and put that in more poetic English but really that has been the extent of it. In the near future when we have a bit more time to experiment during the week I hope to try some stencil colour techniques and maybe even down the line some more advanced print techniques with screen printing etc. However, in the short-term this will have to do. 

This is a drawing from a while ago I did in Ronnie Scott's jazz club of some people leaning against the bar, talking (the bottom image): 


I played around a bit and came up with this: 


This ended up going into the centre-spread of my Jazz Drawings booklet!!

I was quite pleased with this image as I feel it doesn't intrude with the line in the drawing and gives a sense of scene and time of day - this emphasises the evening/night-time setting quite well I feel. 
The colours are very flat which may be something to consider in future. I would also say that there is a fair bit of Feliks Topolski in this usage of flat colour which he used to do with his screen prints - see below:

Felix Topolski, Westminster 1973


The other drawing I worked with was of my favourite cricketer Chris Gayle at a match I went to over the summer. This is even more brutally coloured than the first, although in defence it isn't inappropriate as the West Indies kit is a truly bold shade of maroon with lurid blue trimmings: 



Thoughts: 

1: Try some print techniques in future
2: Try scanning some hand-drawn colour (watercolour, crayon etc) to work with in photoshop to lessen the 'flatness' of the colour
3: Introduce some collage elements
4: Work manually with a lightbox and maybe some photocopies of drawings etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment