Thursday 23 January 2014

Promotion Update #1

To summarise, I have thus far in regard to this project:

1: Approached chairman of racecourse to propose project - written letter and telephone follow-up. No cigar.

2: Reached press liaison officer at the racecourse through the racecourse photographer I knew from work (Gavin James). Gained press passes to one two-day meeting in December and a free ticket for the January trials meeting. Pursuing Festival passes.

3: Was approached by Three Counties race club to use some of the drawings in their publication. Also asked to do a private commission which I did but was then rejected (by the client). Pictures in their newsletter pending.

4: Have investigated several of the art galleries and artists who sell work at the racecourse. During the Festival the prices for retail tents at the racecourse rocket up to £5000+ I gather so it is likely that the scene changes somewhat during the key meeting. I have approached Dent Originals and also Elizabeth Armstrong:


The Dent bros. do contemporary equine art with a focus on scenes, famous horses and the like. They also do a line in, ahem, 'racy' stuff with scantily clad females, glamour/erotica, ladies racing fashion etc.  They do some good narrative scenes from various racecourses, eg: 



And the occasional sketch from the races itself: 


I have approached them about my project and was offered some space in their gallery to display some work. However, despite following this offer up I have heard nothing from them. I may try again. 

Elizabeth Armstrong focuses on horses exclusively and tries to capture a sense of the movement of the animal in her work in contrast to some of the more traditional equine work: 



She has been complimentary about my work but says she will not be at the Festival due to the high prices.

5: Have made this weblog! Added gallery page as outward-facing front page to the website (it redirects to the gallery page automatically as the 'home page'). Also made a business card for the blog which I printed on the MFD in the studio on card (took me several hours to get right but not too bad) and have been able to give to any interested peoples, which I must have done as I currently have only two left:




6: Have experimented with inkjet printing on Andrew's office printer - sadly only able to get 2-3 prints done (decent quality) as the paper I bought doesn't agree with the machine and is regularly spat out. Intend to investigate giclee printer at Hardwick soon.

7: With some prints done I intend to approach some of the galleries in town with a view to having stuff for sale in March for the Festival. I have bought a display booklet to house some samples.

8: It has also been suggested I approach Cotswold Life magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment