Thursday 27 February 2014

Giclée Prints and Screen Printed postcards #1

I have been working on doing a series of prints to display and hopefully sell at the Festival Preview event which I have a table at on the 7th March. I narrowed down the drawings to just over 20 which I thought might work as prints roughly A4 - A3 in size:


I printed these out on the MFD and narrowed down further to about 15. I wanted the prints to be mounted ready for framing and found a local company Cotswold Mounts who cut mounts to standard and custom sizes and also supply backing boards and bags. I ordered just over 30 of these and have prepared the files to the correct sizes for fitting into the mount frames. These I plan to print at Hardwick at the first opportunity.

-----------------------------

I also wanted to do some postcards but, having had a look through various websites offering postcards decided I'd rather do some myself, which I may yet regret given the time I don't have. Rather than going for more Giclee I decided to use some of the line drawings I'd done in the earlier stages of this project and go for some screen printed postcards which would allow me to spend some quality time in the print room.

The line drawings are all of characters from the course and I decided to add in a spot colour - I initially thought yellow as this is associated with Cheltenham racecourse with the yellow scarves at Festival time etc. I used some background elements from other drawings I'd done to form the colour layer as well as putting in some block tone in photoshop. Here are the designs I came up with:






Having shown these to a few people and received good feedback I went ahead and prepared them for screen which involved shrinking them down to A6 size - I'm afraid they will be a little small for my liking but I can always come back and make larger ones. A6 is also standard postcard size and will allow me to put them in proper sized bags for selling. Here is an example of the design for the screen: 


Actually, this one looks quite good in b/w: 



I will get some thick paper from Hardwick tomorrow and hopefully crack on with printing them in the evening. I can do a letterpress of this blog address and my name and email on the back afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment